Coming to fully love yourself and your body is difficult, especially for women, as it seems that we’re constantly bombarded with societal standards, pressures, and comparisons. One tool you can always turn to on your self-love journey is body positive affirmations. These powerful words of affirmation help shift the way you see and communicate with your body.
Rather than focusing on the negative, unconscious beliefs that play on repeat in your head, you can take control of your life and your confidence just with the way you talk to yourself. To help you on your body love journey, we’ve detailed how to use affirmations for self-love as well as 15 short positive affirmations for confidence and body positivity.
What Are Affirmations?
Affirmations are positive statements that help you overcome challenging, negative, recurrent beliefs. Rather than letting negative, unconscious thoughts take over your mind and beliefs about yourself, you can use positive affirmations to bring more awareness to the thoughts that aren’t serving you. Vice versa, positive self-affirmations also allow you to make more room for positive, self-loving thoughts.
Affirmations can be used as a daily self-care practice; they’re especially helpful for increasing your sense of self-worth, confidence, and self-love. Studies have found evidence for self-affirmations’ ability to fire up your brain’s reward centers and the neural pathways that make positive change possible. So even saying one affirmation ten times a day can go a long way toward taking control of that negative inner voice.
How to Use Affirmations for Self-Love
One beautiful thing about affirmations is that they’re so versatile and can fit into anyone’s daily routine. They work best when used on a regular basis, helping positively rewire your brain over time. (Bonus: Affirmations keep you in a continual, high-vibrational state of gratitude.)
To use affirmations for daily self-love and body confidence, we recommend getting in touch with one or a few doubts you want to rewire. On the flip side, you could also focus on goals you want to achieve. For example, if you want to feel strong and confident in your skin, choose an affirmation (or multiple) that aligns with that desired feeling.
Tips for Effectively Using Affirmations:
1. Get into a positive headspace first. Take a few breaths, maybe light some palo santo, and visualize removing those negative thoughts and replacing them with positive ones.
2. Use the present tense. This tip is key for using affirmations as it helps activate the brain’s systems associated with self-related processing, reward, and future thinking. It’s important to feel and embody the affirmation to the best of your ability.
3. Choose affirmations that relate to you. You want to feel connected to the affirmation and its message. So pick affirmations that you are naturally drawn to or that you spark an instant connection with. (Trust your gut.)
15 Powerful Affirmations for Self-Love and Body Positivity
To help you on your self-love journey, here are 15 affirmations that will help you lean into self-care and tap into radical love and appreciation for your body.
- “I am safe in my skin. I am safe in my body. My body is a beautiful home.”
- “My body takes care of me, and I take care of my body.”
- “My beauty radiates from the inside out.”
- “I love my body just as it is.”
- “I am blessed with good health, a strong body, and a beautiful heart.”
- “My self-worth goes beyond my body. My body doesn’t define my worth.”
- “I feel strong and confident in my body.”
- “I shower myself with self-love and acceptance because it feels good to love me for me.”
- “I listen to what my body needs and desires without judgment.”
- “My body radiates true self-love, confidence, and appreciation.”
- “I feel good about my body. I am beautiful.”
- “My body is uniquely me. It is perfect in its own way.”
- “I am worthy of love. I am loved.”
- “My body is a temple. I treat it with kindness, love, and respect.”
- “It’s okay for me to listen to the intuition of my body.”