From regular facials to skincare tools to using high-quality products, it’s no secret that skincare can be expensive. But achieving healthy, glowing skin doesn’t need to cost an arm and a leg. Ahead, we’re sharing our favorite affordable skincare tips that will save you time and money without sacrificing results.
1. Embrace a Minimalist Skincare Routine
With the rise of social media and conscious beauty brands, the skincare market is bigger and better than ever. It’s easy to get swept away by the latest products or think you need a 12-step skincare routine to have a flawless face. In reality, most skin types should embrace the idea that “less is more.”
Not only does having a simple skincare routine of two to five steps save you time and money, but it can improve your skin health too. Our skin loves minimalism and can get stressed out when you use too many products at once. So keep it basic. Have the essentials: a cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen, and you can add slowly to that routine to address skin concerns as they arise.
2. Find Your Hero Products
A budget-friendly skincare routine doesn’t mean you can’t invest in products you love. Our suggestion? Focus on one to two hero products in your routine that you can’t live without but which may be more costly—like our Superfood Beauty Oil or Copper Gua Shas. Then incorporate budget-friendly products to fill in the gaps.
3. Don’t Be Afraid of a Little DIY
While not all DIY skincare is worth the time, money, and energy, there are a lot of cost-effective, at-home treatments that are. Here are some of our favorites:
- pH-balanced water as a toner. It’s super cheap to find a water store that sells pH water (like Kangen). Purchase 8 ounces of filtered pH-balanced water and a glass spray bottle—this will last at least two months. Use this as your toner after cleansing to reset and balance the skin. If you’re feeling fancy, you can even add a drop or two of your favorite essential oil like lavender, rose, or orange peel.
- DIY face masks. Instead of splurging on that $50 face mask, see what skincare ingredients are hiding in your kitchen. We love using honey and turmeric as a face mask to brighten, soothe, and reduce scarring. Bananas or banana peels will also help brighten the skin. Oatmeal and honey are another sublime combination that helps promote the integrity of the skin barrier and reduce irritation. For a deep skin detox, reach for affordable clays you can mix into a mask (find our Montmorillonite Clay Mask Recipe here).
4. Natural Oil Cleansers
We’re big fans of the oil cleansing method—and plant oils in general. To get the amazing natural skin benefits of your favorite oils, you can use them as a facial cleanser two to three times a week. We recommend hemp seed oil because it’s non-comedogenic, perfectly balanced, and suitable for all skin types.
5. Expensive Isn’t Always Better
And finally, remember that expensive skincare isn’t always better. In fact, many of the highly priced, mass-marketed skincare coming from big beauty brands are full of fragrance, alcohol, chemicals, and filler ingredients that do nothing but fluff up the formula. It might take a little research, but there are high-quality, affordable skincare brands out there that check every box on your list.